Indigenous Innovative Solutions Photography Contest
We know that the best way to defend the rights and promote the solutions created by Indigenous Peoples is for Indigenous Peoples to communicate their own visions, with their own words and images.
It is for this reason that today we are launching our Photography Contest “Indigenous Innovative Solutions”, to learn more about their realities, problems, proposals, and innovative solutions to defend their rights, manage their territories, and protect Mother Earth.
The FSC-IF is a global organization created by and for Indigenous Peoples that seeks to provide long-term solutions that support the world’s Indigenous communities. Our mission is to co-create Indigenous-nature-based solutions with Indigenous Peoples around the world. We focus on promoting Indigenous Peoples’ rights, holistic self-development, and self-sufficiency.
Join our network of visual storytellers and participate in this contest after checking the Terms and Conditions.
For questions and concerns please contact :
Mary Donovan, Communications Officer of FSC Indigenous Foundation, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
Who can participate?
The contest is especially intended for communicators, photographers, and storytellers from the diverse Indigenous Peoples around the world.
We promote non-discrimination and intergenerationally, for this reason the contest has no age limit and encourages the participation of women and young people.
What are the categories?
Innovation and Climate Change. This category is open to communicators, photographers, or amateur storytellers from Indigenous Peoples of any age. This theme includes:
- Indigenous-based innovative solutions related to climate change, forest fires, deforestation, biodiversity, water management, territory management, etc.
- Traditional knowledge based on innovative solutions.
- Innovative solutions based on the traditional and ancestral work of Indigenous communities in forest and biodiversity conservation.
- Community-led efforts to adapt or to mitigate climate change.
Forest and Indigenous Peoples. This category is open to communicators, photographers, or amateur storytellers from Indigenous Peoples of any age. This theme includes:
- Indigenous Peoples’ relationship with nature.
- Indigenous Peoples and biodiversity.
- Traditional knowledge for sustainable forest use, management, and conservation.
- Indigenous landscapes, governance and management.
Indigenous Youth. This category is open to young communicators, photographers, and storytellers up to 20 years old. This category includes:
- Indigenous innovation and climate change
- Forests and Indigenous Peoples
- Indigenous youth and women innovative actions
Terms of the contest
- All submitted pictures must be original.
- Each participant is allowed to submit one picture per category.
- Pictures containing recognizable individuals must have a prior consent for the use of the picture, attached to the registration mail.
Conditions of the contest
- By submitting a picture, the person to whom it belongs automatically allows the FSC Indigenous Foundation to use the image in communication and promotional materials.
- Pictures of individuals who do not have authorization for the use of the image will not be eligible.
Only pictures that meet the following requirements will be eligible to compete:
- All participants must be members of an Indigenous People.
- All pictures must be original.
- Pictures that have already received awards or recognition prior to this contest are not eligible.
- For the third category, Indigenous Youth, photographers must be 20 years old or younger.
Awards and recognitions
We recognize and reward the work of communicators, photographers, and storytellers. The first three places in each category will receive a symbolic and economic recognition.
- First place: $1,000 (one thousand U.S. dollars).
- Second place: $600 (six hundred U.S. dollars).
- Third place: $400 (four hundred U.S. dollars).
The contest will have the assistance of an expert panel composed of renowned Indigenous photographers from around the world, who will evaluate and select the winning photographs.
The evaluation will consider the following criteria:
- Relevance to the chosen category.
How to participate?
To participate in the contest, you must follow the next steps:
- Download and read our terms and conditions.
- Choose the category in which you want to participate.
- Select the photo with which you want to participate. Please remember the picture must have a minimum resolution of 1500 pixels on the longest side and the file must have a maximum weight of 25 MB.
- Send us an email with your picture attached to email@example.com. The email must include the following information:
- First and Last Name.
- People to which you belong.
- Date and place where the picture was taken.
- Short description of the picture.
- If your picture contains the likeness of one or more persons, please attach a consent letter for the use of the picture.